- 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottoms of two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with waxed paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground chocolate, granulated sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add 1 cup of the buttermilk and 1 cup of butter. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of buttermilk, the eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake’s center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the pans, discard the waxed paper, and transfer them to the wire rack to cool completely.
- BUTTERCREAM: In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla.
- Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate